Digital Media Studio
The Digital Media Studio (DMS), located on the 2nd floor of the James E. Walker Library, offers knowledgeable staff who provide direction to appropriate resources, train users on the use of media applications and collaborate on projects. We offer the latest digital tools and unique facilities to enable the exploration of rich digital media for learning experiences, collaboration and creative expression. The Digital Media Studio is a welcoming, collaborative space for users of all abilities, disciplines, levels and interests.
The DMS is open all hours that the Library is open. See Library hours.
DMS Help Desk: 615-904-8526
When possible, our help desk staff will answer all questions immediately, but for in-depth questions we may suggest online training or a one-on-one appointment. We will not do your project for you, but we will assist in training on equipment and software.
Studio Tours: We would love to show you around the place! Please give at least 72 hours notice for a tour request. Request a tour.
Tech Coach appointment: Schedule a 30 minute one-on-one appointment with a Tech Coach when you need in-depth task-specific assistance on any of our multimedia software applications. For comprehensive training on a software topic, see our onilne training options below. Please give at least 72 hours notice for a training request.
If you are a beginner or need comprehensive training on a software application, utilize the following online resources.
For use only in the Digital Media Studio. Lynda.com offers comprehensive online training for dozens of software applications, from Photoshop and Dreamweaver to Access and Excel. You can watch video tutorials and try your hand at interactive practice sessions. Come to the Studio to log in from one of our computers, and use the training software while you build your project.
Adobe Creative Suite
Lynda.com -- see above; for use only in the Digital Media Studio
Layers Magazine CS5 Learning Center -- A little bit of everything Adobe.
Adobe TV -- video tutorials on every Adobe Product
Note: Photoshop tutorials can be used to learn Gimp Shop with little modification
Lynda.com - 20+ hours of tutorials on iLife
2009 modules; come to the Studio for use
iMovie tutorials from Apple.com
iPhoto tutorials from Apple.com
iDVD tutorials from Apple.com
Garageband tutorials from Apple.com
iWeb tutorials from Apple.com
- Official Keynote Tutorials
Copyright-friendly Media Sources
Find images that you can remix and reuse for your projects at our Media Sources guide.
- 8 Dell PCs with 22" monitors
- 12 iMacs with 27" monitors
- Flatbed scanners on some PCs and some Macs
- Slide scanner
- Built-in SD card readers
- Multi-format card readers for checkout
- Pen tablets available for checkout
- Headphones available for checkout
- 1 black and white printer
- 1 color printer: academic use only, .50 cents a page
- Legal-sheet size laminator: $1.00 per sheet
Licensed Software: availability varies by computer
- Adobe Creative Suite 4 for PC; Adobe Creative Suite 5 for Mac
- iLife for Macs: iPhoto, iMovie GarageBand, iWeb, iDVD, Quicktime Player
- iWork for Macs: Pages, Numbers, Keynote
- Jing screen casting software: a free download
- Office 2007 for PC; Office 2011 for Mac: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
- Power DVD
- Roxio Easy Media Creator
Open source software: availability varies by computer
- GimpShop PC, Gimp Mac
- Nvu (PC only)
- Open Laslo
- Paint.net (PC only)
- VirtualDub (PC only)
- Videothang (PC only)
- icopy (PC only)
- Rolling white boards and dry erase markers
- Tape, scissors, hole punch, paper cutter, mounting glue, staplers, glue sticks, markers
- Prep table with overhead light
- Legal sheet size laminator: $1.00 per sheet
- Grid board, rulers, t-squares
- (2) Two electric typewriters
Presentation Practice Rooms
Presentation Practice Rooms: Reservations required. Practice and record your presentation. Three large group study rooms on the 2nd floor (248B, 262B, and 201D) are equipped with large wall-mounted monitors and recording devices to allow students to practice and record presentations. You can even check out a green screen to visually transport yourself to another location! Usage policy.