Goals of the Exhibit Program
- Increase awareness, appreciation, and use of the Library by promoting its materials and services.
- Focus on academic themes of interest to the MTSU community.
- Highlight research and creative works by MTSU students, faculty, and alumni.
- Highlight Library materials which relate to events and programs as well as local or national calendar events important to the MTSU community.
- Exhibits must be sponsored by an MTSU affiliated group or organization.
- Materials must be suitable for display in a public space for an audience encompassing an ethnically diverse student and faculty community as well as members of the general public including children.
- Exhibit quality must be commensurate with the environment and decor of the library.
- Signage and labels for an exhibit should be informative and attractive. Materials necessary for special display methods, beyond those items listed in the policy under "Available Exhibit Spaces," are the responsibility of the requestor.
- Exhibitors will install and remove exhibits under the supervision of Library staff.
- The Library will not accept exhibits that promote the financial profit of any individual, organization, or commercial enterprise.
- Exhibit promotion must be coordinated with the Library's External Relations Specialist.
- Exhibits will be displayed for a maximum of 30 days unless otherwise approved.
- The Library is not responsible for the security of items on exhibit or otherwise associated with the activities covered in this policy, nor is it responsible for exhibit items not removed by the agreed upon date.
Requesting Library Exhibit Space
- Priority use is given to Library-sponsored exhibits.
- The Library External Relations Committee is responsible for consideration and approval of exhibit requests. The Library reserves the right to refuse an exhibit or any part of an exhibit, to request additional content, or to change the manner of display.
- Requestors are encouraged to submit digital photographs and a display diagram with their request.
- Requests should be submitted to the administrative office at 615-898-2772, (Melanie.Plemons@mtsu.edu).
Available Exhibit Spaces
- Entrance Vestibule. Exhibit size may vary but must not impede flow of traffic or block accessible pathways.
- First Floor Atrium. Exhibit size may vary but must not impede flow of traffic or accessible pathways.
- Upright glass display cases (2), fixed, on first floor just past elevator lobby. Interior of case is approximately 56" H x 45"W x 13" D. Four adjustable shelves, each approximately 21" wide.
- Flat cases (2), movable. Interior of case is 7.5" H x 57.5" W x 27" D.
- Wall space in first floor periodicals lobby.
- Floor space in front of the first floor periodicals reading area.
- Use of other Library space may be proposed in an exhibit space request. The request must specifically identify the proposed space(s) and display method(s).