Reading Room Policies
Books and other items held in Special Collections can be fragile, old, unique, and often of considerable monetary value. They require careful handling as well as a stable and secure environment. Please observe these rules when using Special Collections:
- First-time users are asked to complete a registration form and present a photo ID before using materials.
- Special Collections materials--including reference books--do not circulate.
- Food or drink must not be brought into the area.
- Pencils--but not pens--should be used in the Reading Room.
- Rare books must remain on the work tables. Please do not pick them up and carry them around the Reading Room.
- The Reading Room is a quiet area. Patrons and staff engage in research, cataloging, and other activities that require concentration.
- Fragile or rare items may require handling by staff. Use of some materials may be otherwise restricted at the discretion of staff.
- Photocopying and digital imaging are considered on an item-by-item basis.
- The current legal status of copyright regulates the photoreproduction of MTSU theses. By law, we cannot photocopy entire or substantial portions of any MTSU thesis without permission conveyed in a letter signed and mailed to Special Collections by the author.
- Requests for photocopying cannot be immediately accommodated.
- Briefcases, backpacks, bags, and other items brought into the Reading Room are subject to inspection when visitors leave the area. Lockers are available for storing these items while users are in Special Collections.