Wireless Internet Access
Come to the Technology Services Desk on the 1st floor of the library or call the ITD help desk at 898-5345 if you are unable to connect using the instructions below.
An up-to-date antivirus program must be installed on your computer. There are several free antivirus programs available on the web. Microsoft Security Essentials is one example.
- If you have any type of peer-to-peer software, such as LimeWire, BitTorrent, Kazaa, eMule, etc., you must uninstall it. Failure to do so will result in your computer not being allowed to connect to the network on campus.
- All current Windows Updates which are listed as “Important” or “Critical” must be installed on your computer before access to the network can be granted.
- If you have a Smartphone (iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, Palm, etc.) and wish to connect to the Campus network, you may need to call the ITD Help Desk at 898-5345 to register your device. Not all Smartphones are capable of connecting to the campus network.
Step by Step Instructions
The NAC Agent, or “Network Access Control” Agent is an application that all students must install to connect to MTSU's network.
Please read through all of the steps below before proceeding.
- Open your web browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc.) and it will redirect you to the network authentication page.
- Click “Please click here to connect to the network.”
- Log in with your PipelineMT username and password.
- A registration page will appear and ask for your name and email address. Click “Complete registration.”
This can take up to five minutes.
Note: If you are using Mac OS or Linux, you will not need to download the agent, and should be granted network access after completing registration.
- The next page may tell you that you are in violation of the network security policy. If you do not already have the NAC Agent installed, click on the “NAC Agent” link to download and install the Agent.
- After you have downloaded and installed the Agent, ensure that the Agent’s red icon is shown in your system tray, next to the clock.
- Attempt network access again by clicking on the "Reattempt Network Access" button.
- The Agent will scan your computer. All of the following conditions must be met before access can be granted:
- Antivirus is installed and up-to-date,
- No file sharing programs are installed, and
- The NAC Agent is running on the computer.
- If any conditions are not met, you will be redirected to the remediation Web page, which will suggest remedies that may allow you access to the network.
If after following the remediation instructions you are still unable to access the network, or if you have exceeded the maximum number of connection attempts, please see the Technology Services desk or contact the Information Technology Help Desk at (615) 898-5345.