It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
123,000 pages of primary documents related to 1960s America, including diaries, letters, autobiographies and other memoirs, written and oral histories, manifestos, government documents, memorabilia, and scholarly commentary.
Reference collection of black American musical expression.
African American Music Reference will bring together 50,000 pages of text reference, biographies, chronologies, sheet music, images, lyrics, liner notes, and discographies which chronicle the diverse history and culture of the African American experience through music.
The first release includes over 3,900 pages of reference, including a comprehensive set of biographies on the top 185 African American composers, edited by Samuel Floyd, Jr., as well as 5,000 pages of liner notes from Document Records.
The aim of the collection is to bring together a wide range of materials, including comprehensive reference works, leading critical studies, biographies, oral histories, essays, anthologies, and historical works, together covering every genre and form, from Blues and Jazz to Hip Hop.
Index to biographical information in various sources.
Indexes current, readily available reference sources, as well as the most important retrospective works that cover individuals, both living and deceased, from every field of activity and from all areas of the world.
• Biographical dictionaries and who's whos, which supply information on a number of individuals.
• Subject encyclopedias, which include some biographical entries.
• Volumes of literary criticism, which may contain only a limited amount of biographical information but give critical surveys of a writer's works.
• Indexes, which refer the user to a body of information found elsewhere.
Periodical coverage of Biography Index, full-text articles, page images, and abstracts from Wilson databases (including biographical profiles, feature articles, interviews, essays, book reviews, performance reviews, speeches, or obituaries).
• Coverage of more than 600,000 individuals
• Over 2.2 million records
• Links to over 300,000 related full-text articles, as well as abstracts and images from thousands of periodicals
• Over 35,000 images
• Substantive narrative profiles averaging 3,000 words in length
Cross-searches several music databases for text, video, and audio.
Searches African American Music Reference, Classical Music Library, Classical Music Reference Library, Classical Scores Library and The Garland Encyclopedia of World Music Online. Includes streaming audio.